The 2016 Call for Choreographers is currently closed. Please check back again for other opportunities.
Our summer intensive/performance workshop is for emerging professional choreographers with fluency in modern and contemporary dance. This workshop offers a professional level experience, but with the added support and guidance of highly experienced artist faculty.
Successful applicants will work as part of a creative team that also includes a composer, a conductor, an ensemble of about 10-12 dancers, and about the same number of live musicians. Each group will develop, rehearse and give the premiere performance of a newly composed/choreographed piece under the guidance, and participation of the faculty. The pieces, with newly composed music written especially for the workshop, will be conceived for a specific, non-traditional performance space (i.e. not a concert hall, and still to be announced!), and will allow for/require the composers/choreographers to use space, and the placement of the musicians and dancers in the space, as an element of their work.
Choreographers will play a crucial part of the collaboration as the pieces are developed, and will work closely with the dancers, composers, other choreographers, the participating musicians, the dance faculty (Terence Marling, Pablo Piantino, and Stephanie Martinez), as well as the music faculty, including two multiple Grammy-award winners, who will perform alongside the participants.
There will be daily sessions devoted to ballet and modern technique by dance faculty, a special session on the relationship between music and choreography, as well as informational and practical sessions on Brazilian Capoeira by percussionist Gregory Beyer. Professor Beyer has just returned from a yearlong sabbatical in Brazil to study this intriguing martial art that meshes together music, movement, sport, self-defense, spirituality, and diverse folk traditions.
This is a unique opportunity to collaborate with emerging artists and some of the very best professional artists in music and dance working today. It is the hope of the LAB-Arts faculty that many future collaborations will begin with this workshop!
DEADLINE EXTENDED — we will continue to accept applications until all the spots are filled.
To apply, please send the following information to:
info [at] LAB-Arts [daht] org
1. full name (first and last)
2. age/date of birth (There is no age limit, but Choreographers should be at least 18 years of age.)
3. email address
4. mobile phone
5. home phone
6. current address (number, street, apt #, city, state/province, country, zip/postal code)
7. CV (attach as pdf) include training, choreographic and dance experience, education/degrees awarded, recent performance history
8. musical experience (Please describe your level of musical training, if any. i.e. Have you studied an instrument in he past? If so, what level of proficiency have you attained? Are you able to read/understand musical scores with multiple parts? What experience/interest do you have in contemporary classical music (in its various styles)?
9. link to streaming video (Please submit an URL link to a 5-minute, high quality, streaming video–youtube, vimeo etc–of your choreographic work. The clip can be from a live performance or made in studio.)
10. artist statement (Please describe your interest in the workshop, contemporary music and dance, something about your creative process as a choreographer, and, although not required, any relevant collaborations with live musicians and/or the creation of site-specific work.
<<Participants will be notified of their status by Monday, May 16. If selected, half of the tuition fee ($240) must be paid by Friday, May 20 to reserve the spot. The remaining $240 must be paid in full by June 1. The total Course Tuition Fee is $480. This fee does not include user transaction fees charged by PayPal (2.9% + $0.30), travel costs, or Room and Board. Students must make their own arrangements for travel and Room and Board (but, we can help offer suggestions for places to stay).
N.B.: Due to the interdependent nature of this workshop, it will be impossible to make last-minute changes. As a result, ***absolutely no refunds will be given after June 15!*** >>